Best Practices for Nucleobase Parameterization

From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed May 20 2015 - 08:12:55 CDT

Aaron,

I see that you have also posted to the CHARMM user forums under the parameter discussions, which is what I was in the process of suggesting before I saw the post. They are a little touchy over any mention of VMD/NAMD over there; however, your question is very clearly on of the force field (not necessarily the specifics of the programs) and is appropriate for that forum. The CHARMM36 distribution has specific files that contain nucleic acid topology/parameters; the header of those files contains references that you might look over. I don't have any direct experience parameterizing NAs but I do have a few comments regarding your questions:

1) I'm fairly certain even the keto tautomer is planar, as the lone pair of the nitrogen is conjugated to the pi system of the adjacent carbonyl, just as is the case for any other amide.

2) I would be very surprised if the interactions with carbon and nitrogen of the base are not probed via water interactions to derive charges. Is this explicitly stated somewhere in the references for NA parameter development?

3) Cleaving the base from the sugar falls under the suggested divide-and-conquer strategy. I would be cautious of N1 and would cap it with at least a Me, which mimics the full NA structure moreso than cleavage to NH. As suggested to you over in the CHARMM forums, you will have to address the sugar-base linkage at some point as well.

Regards,
Christopher Mayne