Re: problem with water molecules angle in MD simulation

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2015 - 05:32:06 CST

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 3:43 AM, Tristan Croll <tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au> wrote:
> That's a question for someone who knows the guts of NAMD a lot better than

this is not a NAMD thing, but a general MD problem: constraints via
SHAKE only work through MD, not minimization. There is no equivalent
solver algorithm. Some MD codes (silently) replace the constraints
with a very stiff harmonic potential. For codes that don't do this,
one can modify the force constant parameters for the water bond/angle
correspondingly. it won't affect MD, since the force constant is
ignored with SHAKE.

axel