Re: Different trajectories with and without restarting

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 16 2015 - 00:06:27 CDT

On May 16, 2015 4:08 AM, "Grzegorz Nawrocki" <aksonik_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Bradley and Axel,
>
> First of all, thank you very much for your quick responce. For me it is
just the beginning of using NAMD. I am grateful for your help. Second, I
heard about "butterfly effect" and I know that the distribution of the
various states is the usable output. However, I expected that no
differences should exist, even tiny, for exact restart. I am also aware of
introducing "randomness" into the system by using temperature control and
setting seed, but I do it only at the beginning, and the beginning is the
same for the simulations with and without restarting. Providing coordinates
and velocities I should be able to get exactly the same trajectory from any
checkpoin. Where do these tiny differences come from?

Like I already told you, they do come from using floating point math and
the langevin thermostat.