Re: using NAMD with CHARMM36 ff

From: Tristan Croll (tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2015 - 01:37:05 CST

This can be made a lot less arduous with a couple of simple modifications to autopsf (found in {vmd directory}/plugins/{architecture}/tcl/autopsf1.4).

In the pkgIndex.tcl file in that directory, change the line that starts "package ifneeded autopsf" to

package ifneeded autopsf 1.4 "source [list [file join $dir autopsf.tcl]] ; set env(AUTOPSFDIR) [list $dir]; set env(CHARMMFFDIR) /path/to/CHARMM-36"

 (changing the bit at the end to the path where your CHARMM-36 parameter files are found). Then, in autopsf.tcl, search for "lappend topfiles" (should be around line 257), and replace those lines with:

  lappend topfiles [file join $env(CHARMMFFDIR) top_all36_prot.rtf]
  lappend topfiles [file join $env(CHARMMFFDIR) top_all36_lipid.rtf]
  lappend topfiles [file join $env(CHARMMFFDIR) top_all36_na.rtf]
  lappend topfiles [file join $env(CHARMMFFDIR) top_all36_carb.rtf]
  lappend topfiles [file join $env(CHARMMFFDIR) top_all36_cgenff.rtf]
  lappend topfiles [file join $env(CHARMMFFDIR) top_all36_prot.rtf]
  lappend topfiles [file join $env(CHARMMFFDIR) stream/toppar_all36_carb_glycopeptide.str]
  lappend topfiles [file join $env(CHARMMFFDIR) toppar_water_ions.str]

You may need to add a few others depending on the systems you tend to work with, but that should cover most systems you're likely to encounter. Next time you start VMD you'll find these are pre-loaded in autopsf so you don't have to go through picking them every time. You will of course have to include all the necessary parameter files in your NAMD script as well. Just remember the rule that the stream files come last.

Cheers,

Tristan