Re: Implicit solvent lipid bilayer simulation in NAMD.

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2014 - 13:54:57 CDT

I think if you wanted to simulate how a protein for instance might behave
if entirely constrained within a bilayer, but without actually using the
lipids, there may be some work being done to develop implicit solvent
methods where the solvent is a lipid-like thing (dissolving your protein in
hexane for instance).

There may also have been some success with using coarse-grained methods for
doing things with lipid layers (particularly I think the NAMD supported
MARTINI forcefield has been used for this), if you are trying to save on
performance from the necessarily massive systems one gets when solvating a
big bilayer patch.

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student