Re: Inquiry about forceConstant

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2014 - 15:12:06 CDT

when you define a harmonic restraint, the restraint has its own center and
forceConstant. These things are individual to the restraint, as they go
inside its braces:

harmonic {
name myForceOne
center 1.0
forceConstant 1.0
}

harmonic {
name myForceTwo
center 2.0
forceConstant 0.5
}

or something like above (check the syntax in the manual), but the main
point being your colvars file can have as many restraints as you want. So
all forceConstants are unique to their bias and the units will match with
the centers. This is the same idea as the colvars themselves, you can have
as many as you wish and they all can have their own atoms or other
definitions.

In your equation, W is the work, or energy of the harmonic (the thing that
actually affects the MD), K is the forceConstant, r_ref is the center.

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student