Re: Ion Au+3 simulation

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2014 - 16:21:52 CDT

I think if you want to do something SUPER rough as you are suggesting with
an Au1+, you could use existing CHARMM or AMBER forcefields and use Na+ or
K+ and adjust the VDW coefficient to match some estimate of the size of
Au1+.

But keep in mind that in the simple case of classical MD, those atoms are
just point charges with some VDW radius, which does a poor job of
representing metal ions, particularly ones that have more complex orbitals
than a sodium. So really, you'll just be seeing where a big sodium would
sit on your protein, which will potentially be a lot different than the
actual case. In fact, if you are thinking of doing that, you'd almost be
better advised to just do some kind of Poisson-Boltzman calculation of the
electrostatic surface potential of your protein and see where the negative
potentials are distributed.

As Axel suggests, you'd need some more complex treatment to get anything
accurate. Metals are hard.

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Daniel Torrente <xlb608_at_my.utsa.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your quick response
>>
>> I will take your advice and keep looking for published literature on this
>> topic. In the mean time, if I tried to use Au+ or Au instead of Au3+, is
>> there any ff available that could help to carried out this simulation?.
>> Basically, I do not want to fix the Au atom. I want them to move freely
>> during the simulation and see the aggregation pattern over the surface of
>> the protein.
>>

> ​again, i think a "just give me the force field" kind of approach is going
> to be successful here. there is much more literature and fundamental
> research ahead of you before i would even begin any kind of simulation. you
> first have to understand the chemistry of what you are looking at well
> enough.
>
> that will most likely require some level of ab initio or semi-empirical
> calculation. using a subset of your total system to train and benchmark any
> force field parameter set.
> i would suspect that you still need some form of many-body potential, eg.
> MEAM to represent Au atoms and study their clustering, which means you
> would have to use an MD code that can handle multiple force field types at
> the same time or supports (mechanical or better) coupling of codes.
>
> axel.
>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Daniel Torrente
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey_at_gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> ​hi daniel,​

>>> ​multiply charged ions are very problematic for pair-wise additive force
>>> fields as their interactions usually include polarization of the immediate
>>> environment with charge redistribution and directional interactions. most
>>> likely you will not have a "naked" au3+ cation, but some kind of complex
>>> with nulcleophilic molecules and/or anions. depending of what you want to
>>> study, you may need to resolve to doing QM/MM calculations​, or
>>> parameterize an au3+ complex that you keep rigid or otherwise maintain its
>>> charge distribution.
>>>
>>> interactions with gold surfaces are a different system, since those are
>>> usually dominated by a mostly covalent bond (via sulphur or oxygen) and the
>>> effects due to polarization of the metal are smaller than other errors of
>>> the model to be justifiably ignored. often people use rather crude models
>>> for it, since they don't care as much about the interaction with the gold
>>> surface than of the objects attached to the surface with each other and the
>>> items around it.
>>>
>>> ​i suggest you​ have another look at the published literature and think
>>> carefully what it is that you really want to learn from your simulations
>>> and come back, if you still have questions.
>>>
>>> also, please don't just take a single opinion on the subject as your
> [...]

Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student
Department of Chemistry
University of Waterloo