Re: colvars with replica exchange molecular dynamics

From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2014 - 01:38:21 CST

Hi Giacomo:

> If I understood correctly your email, some restart files are not correctly
> written before an exchange between replicas

occurs.

In the presence of colvars, a xxx.colvars.state file is written under each
replica folder for job0. However, a xxx.restart.colvars.state is written
nowhere.

If I restart a t-remd from the previous one, linking between the two occurs
correctly except for colvars. The restarted t-remd writes again
xxx.colvars.state under each replica folder for job1. However (as far as I
can understand) the state of colvars at the end of job0 is not taken into
consideration.

I tried to remedy by modifying replica.namd for job1, imitating the
procedure for umbrella sampling (although I have no experience with
umbrella sampling). My procedure was incorrect, as I described.

I assume that "replicaBarrier" is there and that T-REMD without a colvars
> configuration happens correctly, right?

Unfortunately I don't understand "replicaBarrier". As said above, T-REMD
runs in any case, colvars present or not. No problem in linking a new
T-REMD to a previous one, except for colvars.

What I am not sure about is whether colvars for job1 start from what the
colvars situation at the end of job0, the absence of
xxx.restart.colvars.state nothwithstanding.

>From your mail I understand that I am unable to describe the phenomenon
adequately. *I could provide a short T-REMD example with job0 and job1 and
colvars to you privately by sending files to your server if you give me
access*. Unfortunately the server at the Accademia Lucchese, where I am, is
inadequate to the purpose, while I have no command on servers of CINECA,
where I carry out the T-REMD runs.

Thanks
francesco pietra