Re: NAMD on SLURM

From: Mitchell Gleed (aliigleed16_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2014 - 12:57:16 CST

Hi Abhishek,

This question is better to ask your supercomputer administrator(s). I
haven't really used GPU's with NAMD, but my university does use SLURM for
job scheduling.

Here is a general submission script that has given me the best results for
a 1-node multicore build on the clusters I run my simulations on (with a
line added for gpu's, for your case):

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

#!/bin/bash

#SBATCH --time=24:00:00 # walltime
#SBATCH --ntasks=16 # number of processor cores (i.e. tasks)
#SBATCH --nodes=1 # number of nodes
#SBATCH --gres=gpu:1
#SBATCH --mem-per-cpu=1024M # memory per CPU core
#SBATCH -J "jobname" # job name

# LOAD MODULES, INSERT CODE, AND RUN YOUR PROGRAMS HERE
module purge
module load icc/14.0.3
configfile=namd.config
logfile=namd.config.log
namdexec=/apps/namd2
${namdexec} +setcpuaffinity `numactl --show | awk '/^physcpubind/ {printf
"+p%d +pemap %d",(NF-1),$2; for(i=3;i<=NF;++i){printf ",%d",$i}}'`
$configfile > $logfile

//////////////

Request resources (processors, memory, etc.) according to the setup of the
clusters you want to run on where the lines labeled #SBATCH are.

You may need to load up the specific compiler(s) you used to compile NAMD
(in my case, icc/14.0.3). Set the variables for your namd configuration
file (configfile), the file to store standard output (logfile), and the
NAMD executable you are using (namdexec). I'm not sure if the particular
launching scheme I use will work for you, so this is where testing
different options will work and where a supercomputing administrator may be
able to help, too.

My university has a handy SLURM submission script generator you could try
out here: https://marylou.byu.edu/documentation/slurm/script-generator. The
man page for slurm and sbatch can be helpful too.

Good luck