Re: Restraints between ion and small molecule

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2014 - 14:43:47 CDT

Please reply to the list rather than personal e-mail (hint to the list
admin: Majordomo has an option to override the Reply-To: address!)

I didn't realize obtaining a delta-H was not your end goal. If you want
optimize the gold L-J parameter by iteratively adjusting it and
calculating the delta-H until it matches experiment, then that would
actually be a valid approach in theory (assuming you can sort out the
issues Aron raised; I was a bit too quick to call "fundamentally correct"
in that respect). In practice, however, it's unlikely that the
gold-ammonia complex can be described accurately by the terms in the force
field's Potential Energy Function. To test this - and with some luck
arrive at a potential that is of actual utility - you'd need to target
multiple experimental properties (like radial distribution function of
water around the gold, diffusion and stuff like that) simultaneously.