Re: PMF and work distribution

From: Ajasja Ljubetič (ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2014 - 08:05:48 CDT

There are also a lot of normality tests
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normality_test> Such as Anderson-Darling
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson%E2%80%93Darling_test>, Shapiro-Wilk
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro%E2%80%93Wilk_test>, etc.. Be advised
that these only work well for small sample sizes (less than ~500-1000
samples). If very large samples are used the tests always reject
<http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/2492/is-normality-testing-essentially-useless>
the distribution. The solution I've used in the past is just to randomly
draw 500 samples from my original huge sample set.
There are also Q-Q plots
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantile-quantile_plot> for graphically
determining deviation from normality (or in general the deviation of two
probability distributions).

Best regards,
Ajasja