Re: Ion Au+3 simulation

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2014 - 16:00:23 CDT

Thanks for the link Kenno, I had actually been wondering about doing
something to compare binding sites for Na+ with Mg++, but seeing the
struggle people have had puts the matter into a better light.

I wonder though if ions like Mg++ and Ca++, might be less horrific than
anything involving Fe, Cu, Zn, or the Au Daniel is trying for? The thread
you linked did suggest some improvement with polarizability, so I wonder if
ions that are dominated by simpler S orbitals and can be treated more like
a sphere would do better than the transition metals? Of course that
wouldn't help in the case of this gold ion, which seems like it might be
particularly troubling.