Re: MMPBSA Energy Calculations using VMD (Post-Processing)

From: Vlad Cojocaru (vlad.cojocaru_at_mpi-muenster.mpg.de)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2014 - 03:46:19 CDT

Take a look at AmberTools 13.0 manual. The "chamber" tool can be used to convert psf files to amber topology. The "cpptraj" tool can read dcd files and output netcdf trajectories that can be read by MMPBSA.py ...

A word of caution .... To use MMPBSA it is crucial to understand the radii used for the calculation (mbondi2 or others, see amber tools manual). The radii depend on the amber atom types assigned and the methods used within MMPBSA ... So you should check that carefully as well. You can use the tool "parmed.py" to edit your amber topology. Besides, you should make an effort to understand every single parameter used by MMMPBSA.py. I don't recommend relying on defaults. MMPBSA is not a trivial calculation and you can easily get wrong results.

When you are not experienced with AMBER please make an effort to understand it before embarking to sophisticated calculations. Using one tool requires some knowledge about the whole package.

Sorry for these details related to Amber but I saw this question coming up many times. A good idea is to search/subscribe to the amber mailing list as well.

Best,
Vlad

Sent from my android device.