AW: remd across gpus

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2014 - 04:13:21 CDT

Hi Francesco,

Well I guess you need the following conditions to be fulfilled:

1. You need at least num_replicas*2 cores. The 1st two processes of each replica must be on the same node. Therefore
Your machine file may not have unique fashion, but one entry for every slot.

So NOT:

C01
C02
C03

BUT:

C01
C01
C01
C01
C02
etc.

2. Job scheduler should only give you "full" unshared nodes. Not your chosen amount of cores distributed all over the machines. See 1.

3. num_cores_per_node / (num_cores/num_replicas) should be integer.

4. Regarding the performance, you need to simply see, that each replica is a independently started simulation with own resources. So it will run like every canonical md using the same resources.

Good luck.

> Could you please reveal details on the hardware / flags / size of the
> system that might help me to find the correct conditions on the IBM
> iDataPlex DX360M3? In particular, for a T-REMD on a peptide of ca 500
> atoms under GB conditions, do GPUs really help? Or are you carrying out
> T-REMD in a water peridic box, where, because of the much larger size
> of
> the system, certainly GPUs could help?
>
> thanks
> francesco pietra
>

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Norman Geist <
> norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de> wrote:
>
> > Hmm O_o ??
> >

> > I’m running REMD without problems over our four Dual-GPU-Nodes with
> NAMD
> > 2.10 NB from many months ago. Why should this be a problem?
> >

> > Norman Geist.

---