RE: Runaway positive feedback when minimizing large systems (was: strange glitches when performing energy minimization in MDFF simulations)

From: Tristan Croll (tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2014 - 17:51:13 CST

Hi Brian,

I'll go one better. At the link below I've put together a demonstration simulation. It's based on the ATPase benchmark, and the only thing I've done is moved the OD1 atom on ASN33 of segname PSLN by roughly 0.2A.

- Untar into a directory of your choice
- load f1wations_xplor.psf / f1wations-pme-nve-200ps_PSLN_33_OD1_moved.pdb in VMD
- visualise "segname PSLN and resid 33" and "same residue as within 10 of (segname PSLN and resid 33)" in your choice of representation, and center your view on the former
- run namd using the config file f1atpase.namd
- In VMD, go to Extensions/Simulation/IMD Connect
- enter "localhost" in the Hostname box and 2030 in the Port box
- after allowing some time for the simulation to set itself up, click Connect
- enjoy (?) the show.

Cheers,

Tristan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqa9qwy60v2bd4x/f1atpase_min_glitch.tar.gz