RE: recent comparison of NAMD to other MD engines

From: Bennion, Brian (Bennion1_at_llnl.gov)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2014 - 12:59:21 CST

I have been in contact with the first author regarding the particulars of the simulation parameters. Dr. Hynninen was very gracious and gave all his raw data and input files for me to run.
Overnight I ran NAMD at 12, 252, and 504 cpus (see sierra.llnl.gov specs<https://computing.llnl.gov/?set=resources&page=OCF_resources#sierra>) and was able to reproduce the first two data points for the 465K atom test. However, the 504 node calculation gave 13.9 ns/day which is significantly different than the 2 ns as described in the paper.

In my runs, NAMD29 was a recompiled mpi-ICC version.
The paper uses a downloaded binary version of NAMD29.

This difference speaks to the comments from others about the architecture dependence of these high performance codes.

I am also happy to have met Dr. Hynninen.

Regards
Brian