Re: Re: vmd-l: fftk-charges

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2013 - 12:53:59 CDT

The recommended workflow for applying CGenFF to a general organic molecule
would probably be something like this:
- Submit the whole molecule to the CGenFF program at paramchem.org
- Look closely at the output and penalties
- If optimization seems to be required, split the molecule into relevant
fragments/groups (more information:
http://www.charmm.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=32799&#Post32799
)
- Assuming the high charge penalties don't occur at an interface between
fragments (see CHARMM forum discussion above), submit the individual
fragments that require optimization to the CGenFF program again.
- Assuming the fragments still have high penalties, optimize the charges,
that is, *all* the charges using *all* the water interactions, as Norman
explained. To corroborate, transferability of charges is typically
acceptable between different occurrences of the same *chemical group*, but
not between different occurrences of the same *atom type*, and
accordingly, the CGenFF program can often be observed to assign vastly
different charges to the same atom type in different chemical groups. The
algorithm behind this has been published.