Re: Protein-ligand affinity

From: Thomas Evangelidis (tevang3_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2013 - 14:43:39 CDT

You neglect completely the entropic effect of ligand binding:
DeltaG=DeltaH-T*DeltaS
Judging from your interaction energy DeltaH ~ 0 so in order to have a
favourable Free Energy of Binding (DeltaG<0) then DeltaS>0, which means the
removal of waters and/or ions from the binding cavity by the ligand
increases the entropy of the system.

As Aron & Kenno suggested, MM/PBSA calculations are most suitable for your
case. FEP and TI are cumbersome and used more for ligand optimization.

Thomas Evangelidis
PhD student
University of Athens
Faculty of Pharmacy