Re: charm-gui membrane builder

From: Sunhwan Jo (sunhwan_at_uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2013 - 17:41:02 CDT

James,

I do not encounter problems equilibrating bilayer in general. You should be careful when very high concentration of cholesterol or highly irregular shape of protein is used, because lipid tails could penetrate the protein surface or cholesterol ring system.

If you read your input, step6.1 and step6.2 perform NVT simulation, and step6.3 and later perform NPT simulations. Thus, your simulation system can expand during step6.3. So, no wonder you could workaround this problem by using "useConstantArea" option.

To me, the only remaining question would be whether the expansion is expected or not. I realized you are referring to a new system below. I have downloaded your system and it seems the system is not properly neutralized and have total charge of -160e. I never have run a system that is not properly neutralized, so I'm not sure if the problem you having is the consequence of that or not.

Is there any reason you have decided not to include ions? Perhaps NAMD can takes care of non-neutral simulation system, but those charges (-80e in each leaflet) repel each other and make your system to expand rapidly.

Best,
Sunhwan