Re: problem in determining atom types and charges for ligand atoms to type in the topology file

From: Mamon Hatmal (hatmal_at_usc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2013 - 11:28:27 CDT

Hi,

the steps that I use to run NAMD for a protein with a ligand

1- Create a topology file for the ligand (using either CGEN FF or swissparam) and I call it " ligand.inp"
2- Modifying the produced topology file (ligand.inp) by editing atom types manually to be compatible with NAMD
3- Using the topology file of the ligand (ligand.inp) and the standard topology file of
the proteins (top_all27_prot_lipid_na.inp) to create PSF file for the protein+ligand using VMD.
4- Run NAMD simulation (minimization+heating+MD)

My problem locates in step # 2. Editing atom types of the ligand manually is so tedious, and there are no standard topology files compatible with NAMD for such ligands ( The ligand I'm trying now is the one in 4GH2.pdb). I have no idea how to create a right topology file to use with NAMD for such ligand.

Best,