AW: FEP on an amino acid ligand

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2013 - 00:28:38 CST

Hi Thomas,

> We would like to run FEP on some amino acids in the binding pocket of
> our amino acid transporter to get an idea of what accounts for the
> observed binding affinities but when I'm running the FEP calculation
> the simulation blows up within a few hundred timesteps. At constant
> pressure, NAMD complains about the periodic cell having become to
> small, and at constant volume one sees atoms moving too fast.

This usually indicates that the periodic box is to small from the start.
Check if you got some atoms out of bounds. Remember that if the box is set
to small and the simulation starts, the atoms will be treated as wrapped and
so maybe superimposed with other atoms, or too close. This would cause the
two situations you mentioned.