Re: AW: puzzle of SMD in NAMD-2.9 and pull code in Gromacs

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2013 - 19:25:58 CST

I may be missing something crucial in terms of what SMD does, but wouldn't
running it without that harmonic restraint be meaningless? What I mean is,
don't you want to steer the ligand relative to the protein? So either you
should perform this steering on the distance between the protein and
ligand, or, you just do the ligand but hold the protein fixed (with say a
harmonic restraint on the Ca as you say).

I've never done SMD, and don't know much about how it is supposed to work,
but if all you do is yank on the ligand, the only information I can see you
getting from that is maybe something relating to the energy barrier for
ligand dissociation, and by that I mean the kinetic one, not the
thermodynamic one.

Are you sure in the Gromacs case it wasn't the distance between the ligand
and protein that was being steered? Or maybe the restraint is implicitly
assumed and that's why they don't mention it?

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student