Re: [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Reg System Prepartion namd

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2013 - 16:15:10 CDT

- Like most people here, I don't answer this kind of questions per
personal e-mail. e-mailing the same question twice in two days (including
the same careless-looking typos) won't quite increase my motivation.

- I already told you I'm only here to help with CHARMM force field issues.
While I sometimes overstep this self-imposed boundary, you cannot count on
me to do so.

- Norman gave you some good advice to try out. Your e-mail makes no
mention of having tried that (or why not). We're not idiots; if one expert
spends the time to give you an answer, and you seemingly ignore it, other
experts will be unlikely to waste more time on you.

- I also gave you some advice: "I assume you have an advisor or senior lab
member who works in this field (if not, you probably shouldn't be trying
this). Ask them how to fix your system preparation errors." The simple
truth of the matter is that all the experts on this mailinglist combined
cannot possibly help all beginners in the world with their most basic issues.

- I was hoping for the CHARMM-GUI people to step in and give you some
pointers, but it appears you might have exhausted their patience as well.
Remember that not getting a reply doesn't mean your question hasn't been
seen...

- Even if someone here were still willing to help you, your're giving them
too little relevant detail, as I *also* told you, in my very first reply
(on a related note, you really might want to put a bit more effort into
reading replies). Please consider reading "How to Ask Questions the Smart
Way" by Eric S. Raymond, a classic essay explaining good practices in
asking questions to programmers (note that ESR uses the term "hacker" in
the sense of "expert programmer").
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Most places have these kind of guide lines; take for instance the CHARMM
forums:
http://www.charmm.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=29297
http://www.charmm.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30054&an=12