Re: colvars and parallel-tempering with namd2.10

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2013 - 10:51:39 CDT

Hello Sunhwan, this is not uncommon for bulk systems (i.e. where the
important atoms belong to thousands of small molecules, instead of a few
macromolecules or just one protein).

Nevertheless, can you simplify the problem using fewer atoms from each
molecule (ideally, one atom from each)? In the third example, you're using
a total of 25,000 atoms to define collective variables: you certainly don't
have 25,000 lipids or carbohydrates in the system.

Regarding the scalability with the number of colvars, how many colvars did
you define and how many atoms did they use in total? I'd be curious to
know if you are defining e.g. 5,000 individual variables on 5,000 atoms.
 Normally, the performance should be comparable to when you define a single
colvar over 5,000 atoms.

Giacomo