AW: Does MOLLY really retain bond motion for water?

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2013 - 00:43:15 CDT

Hi Francesco,

maybe this has something to do with the hard coded water models in NAMD. Please remember that most water models doesn’t include H-O-H angle parameters, as not needed due the H-H bond and SHAKE, possibly some other parameters are missing too, or NAMD just doesn’t care about the settings from the psf/parm and just uses its hard coded water treatment as set: tip3? So NAMD, due your bonding, doesn’t recognize your bonded water molecule now(or it does but the psf hasn’t all parameters) and can’t apply all required parameters and treatments to it and so behaves weird and hangs and crashes or asks for parameters. What you are doing could be an unexpected/unhandled case in the NAMD code. Using a more detailed water model could help here, or at least defining all angles. Additionally: to prevent NAMD from recognizing the bonded water as solvent, it could be necessary to change the atom names, as I guess this is the way (+masses) the water molecules get recognized.

Also you could be interested in the “extrabonds” feature of namd. This would’t cause any changes to your residues and provides the ability to apply bonds,angels,torsions etc.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Norman Geist.