Re: Always 24-way SMP?

From: Andrew Pearson (andrew.j.pearson_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2013 - 06:28:05 CST

Hi Norman

Thanks for the response. I didn't phrase my question well - I know I'm
experiencing scaling problems, and I'm trying to determine whether
precompiled namd binaries are known to cause problems. I ask this since
many people seem to say that you should compile namd yourself to save
headaches.

Your explanation about charm++ displaying information about the number of
cores makes sense. I'll bet that's what's happening.

My scaling problem is that for a given system (27 patches, 50000 atoms) I
get perfect speedup until nprocs = 12 and then the speedup line goes almost
flat. This occurs for runs performed on a single 16 core node.

Andrew