Re: AW: problem with pdb psf files!

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2012 - 11:20:45 CDT

dear jacqueline,

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Jacqueline Schmidt
<jacqueline_schmidt_1983_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Norman,
> Thanks for your reply. Some of these systems are peptides on the clay
> surfaces that are bound through periodic box in xy directions. I had to
> create the pdb psf files for the surfaces through my own code and then
> added another section to put the peptide on it.
> The question I asked below is for a peptide in solution (as a stating
> point). Vmd loads my pdb psf file with no flaw. All connectivities are
> correct. However namd gives me an error looking for an improper coefficient.

VMD doesn't care about potential parameters.

> What is so wired is that the CT1 C O NH1 is always in any peptide and I

how do you know, did you check?
please load a psfgen generated psf/pdb file combo into VMD
and type the commands:

topo retypeimpropers
topo impropertypenames

that should return a list of all different types of impropers
listed by atom types. you should have something like
CT1-C-O-NH1 among those if it exists.

if you want more details, you can also use:

topo getimproperlist

that should list all improper definitions with the corresponding atom indices.

> really wonder why I get this error while the psfgen generated files wouldn't
> cause this error. Could this be because my structure is for from the
> equilibrium? or it is due to the formatting and I have to rearrange my code

you get this error message, because this specific
improper parameter set doesn't exist in your parameter file.

i suggest you compare a .psf file created for a very small peptide
with your software against what psfgen produces and then have
a closer look at the differences.

> to change the writing sequences as in psfgen? thanks again

the problem looks as if it is more serious that just simple ordering
issue.

cheers,
    axel.