AW: GPU workstation build

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2012 - 01:22:49 CDT

Hi,

as I see it, the 680s have 1/3 less clock rate, but therefore 3x more CUDA
cores. So for one GPU they should be faster by a factor of two.

In HPC the required bandwidth of any link usually scales with the absolute
computing power of the link using/sharing units (neglecting latency here).
That means, as the 680s are two times faster, they will scale worse than the
580s with the same bandwidth. And as we all know, the PCIE bandwidth is
already a bottleneck for namd and GPUs with PCIE2. Because of that reasons,
you should go for the PCIE3 when going with the Kepler and make sure you
have enough full occupied x16 slots with PCIE3 bandwidth and also keep an
eye on the power supply, one of these GPUs will take 195W I guess.

Regards

Norman Geist.