Re: win64 namd cuda: compile?

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2012 - 03:46:35 CDT

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Aaron Cann <aaron_at_canncentral.net> wrote:
> I’m interested in running multicore namd 2.9 with CUDA in a win64
> environment.

> I gather none of the precompiled binaries will do this—do I need to
> recompile? (Is this likely to work in a Cygwin environment, or not at all?)

unlikely. have you checked whether CUDA supports cygwin?
it was my impression that it doesn't.

> I can’t be the first person to think of doing this, but the list archive
> doesn’t show any matches.

well, there may be more people thinking about this,
but the problem with the windows platform in particular
is, that people using windows are least (compared to linux)
likely used to having to compile software from source.
and that for most people that are used to develop software
on linux and other unix-like environments, developing on
windows is a major pain and inconvenience.

> In my case, this will be on a single-node, multiple GPU system under windows
> 7.

it would probably be much easier (and potentially more efficient, too)
to install linux on that machine and run namd on linux.

if windows is absolutely necessary, i would install
and run it in a virtual machine.

axel.