Re: Uneven sampling when using ABF

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2012 - 20:33:32 CDT

Yeah, I knew that's what fullSamples meant, but wouldn't the initial
estimate from filling all those samples still give you a good estimate of
the PMF?

I had thought the accuracy only depended on how many samples you had for
each window, presuming that you at least explore all the windows (i.e.
reach fullSamples for each window). I had been thinking the only purpose
for applying the biasing force was to make sure you explored past the
initial local minimum in order to collect force samples over the whole
reaction coordinate. Does the biasing force do something other than allow
exploration?

Still, if there are some unbiased slow degrees of freedom that are causing
the force estimate to converge very slowly, I think you can only get a good
result from ABF by having fullSamples high enough to capture those unbiased
degrees of freedom.

~Aron

--
Aron Broom M.Sc