AW: Random seed and equilibrated structure

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2012 - 01:50:17 CDT

Hi,

I don't know if this has something to do with your problem, but you should
get the sscache tcl script for vmd and watch how the secondary structure of
the protein behaves to better understand. I often saw that the proteins
still fold back and forth at constant temperature and pressure as they often
run through multiple stable conformations and in repeating cycles. So I
guess you won't see a proteins state, where it will stay like it is and keep
the same equilibrium state. Remember that VMD by default does only compute
the secondary structure information one time, when you choose new cartoon
f.i. or the ss coloring method. VMD will by default not update this
information over the trajectory so you won't see changes of the molecules
folding.

Also, for statistical purpose, the replica exchange method could be
interesting for you. I guess it's also possible to just run replicas without
any exchanges, but correct me if I'm wrong.

regards

Norman