AW: AW: Atoms moving too fast only with CUDA version.

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2012 - 03:23:23 CDT

Yes, same for me. Minimization doesn't compute velocities, only forces and energies that get optimized. It's no real atom movement. It just moves atoms randomly a little amount, compute energies, see if total energy is lower than before. If it is lower it keeps the new positions, if not it goes back. Than it starts over. So a error computation during minimization causes only that the minimizer thinks it has done a bad move, but does not break the simulation. A too high force computed during molecular dynamic causes unusual behavior and to strong velocities that break the simulation. You should try that memtest thing. But if it is a GPU or PCIE-BUS(on GPU) error, the memory test won't show up I think. The best would be to try another GPU. Bad that you only have one.

Also, does other molecular systems break the same way on the GPU? Maybe try some of the test systems from the namd site.