Re: keeping a protein in a solvation box

From: Aaron Oakley (aarono_at_uow.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2012 - 22:26:52 CDT

On 13/06/2012, at 1:03 PM, Dr. Eddie wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Now correct me if I am wrong (and I pretty sure I am) but I can't understand the following. If I have a piece if a protein which is sticking out of my pbc solvated box, say residue 1, then there is no solvant for residue 1 to interact with except the on periodic boundary and in the box. But around residue 1 there is no solvant since it wrap (wrapWater). So it seems it would be in vacuum but not see any surface tension of the solvant due to the pbc. Where is my misunderstanding?

The residue WILL interact with solvent, but it will be with the solvent molecules on the other side of the periodic system.

When I look at this using vmd I see part of the protein leave the box. If I add a periodic image then it looks like the part that left the box is solvated. But as mentioned above this seems like an illusion.

It is NOT an illusion. NAMD calculates interactions across the periodic boundary.

Thanks for pasting the code! I think I have a vague understanding of what it will do. Just so I am clear, if I only have a protein in water and I want to align my protein I need only add
protein
beneath # write your atom selection as per the user's manual
Is that correct.
Thanks very much for your help and patience!
Eddie