Re: Specific colvar component needed.

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2012 - 11:02:30 CDT

can I ask why you need either of these restrictions? The first restriction
at the very least seems pointless. For having the CA atom fixed in place,
I suspect your are trying to mimic AFM experiments or something, but
physics is all relative, if you simply have the colvar be the distance
between the C-terminal CA and the CA of the N-terminus, this is no
different, the relative distance between the two is all that matters
(saying one is fixed is meaningless I would think, maybe I'm missing the
boat though).

In terms of the second restriction, I can see that perhaps this is needed
to accurately recapitulate a pulling experiment, but given the rotational
degrees of freedom around all the residues, I don't think just pulling them
apart along a general distance colvar will be any different than
restricting that pulling along one axis in particular, maybe someone more
mathematically inclined can comment.

~Aron

--
Aron Broom M.Sc