Replica exchange and multiple time-stepping

From: Niklaus Johner (nij2003_at_med.cornell.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2012 - 10:19:10 CST

Hi all,

This is just a warning concerning replica exchange in namd:

I think steps_per_run has to be set to something that is divisible by 10!

Otherwise the potential energy that is used to calculate the exchanges might be wrong. I think this issue is linked to multiple time-stepping and to the fact that the ouputEnergies is set in the replica_exchange.tcl script to [expr $steps_per_run / 10] which truncated to an integer, so that you will have the output of the energy not coinciding with the the time-step at which the energy is evaluated.

I obtained the correct energies both by using a steps_per_run that is divisible by 10 or by changing line 87 of replica_exchange.tcl to {replica_eval null "outputEnergies [expr $steps_per_run ]"}.

I hope that helps and any input on the reasons for this "error" are welcome. Also, a warning about this in the manual or in the example tcl script for replica exchange would be useful.

Best,

Niklaus

Niklaus Johner
Weill Cornell Medical College