Re: GPU acceleration by using ATI video card

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2012 - 02:49:04 CST

I believe that at the moment this is true.

For the time being, you can consider some alternatives. I believe OpenMM
will function with ATI cards, and hence, I suspect the GPU enhanced
functions in GROMACS will also do the same. I thought also that LAMMPS
allows ATI cards?

OpenCL used to be fairly inferior to CUDA by all accounts (I'm speaking
from 2nd hand knowledge, so could easily be very wrong) but my impression
is that things are much more equivalent now, so perhaps both will be
supported eventually. From a GPU computing perspective this can only be a
good thing, as nVidia's pseudo-monopoly is not ideal.

~Aron

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student