Re: minimization, slow heating and then Langevin free runs

From: Rajan Vatassery (rajan_at_umn.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2012 - 13:33:08 CST

Eddie,
        I usually start with a PDB/PSF that comes from VMD, and using the
default setting:

binaryoutput yes

I receive a .coor, .vel, and a .xsc file from the first (NpT)
simulation. This simulation minimizes and equilibrates the system at a
variable volume.
        The next simulation, NVT, receives the following input from the NpT
simluation:

binCoordinates NpT.coor
binVelocities NpT.vel

I find the average volume that was produced from the NpT simulation
after the volume stops changing drastically, and this number is set as
the fixed volume with the lines:

cellBasisVector1 xvector 0 0
cellBasisVector2 0 yvector 0
cellBasisVector3 0 0 zvector
cellOrigin 0 0 0

where xvector*yvector*zvector is your total volume. NVT runs and outputs
the same as the NpT simulation, and this time I use all three
(.vel, .coor, and .xsc) files as inputs to the NVE simulation.

binCoordinates NVT.coor
binVelocities NVT.vel
extendedSystem NVT.xsc

        Because in the NVE simulation I am using the .xsc file to determine the
PBC boundaries, I comment out the cellBasisVector lines. Note that going
from NpT to NVT sometimes produces erroneously high energies. Basically
the source of this problem is that you are taking a volume of your
simulation (the average over the NpT) that doesn't necessarily
correspond to the .vel and .coor files (which are just the snapshots of
the last point in the NpT). If the volume of your last point is much
different than the average, some strange things can happen as a result
of the compression/expansion of your system. The way to detect if your
system has suffered from this is to watch the energies of your system
from NpT to NVT to NVE. If the system energy has changed drastically
from NpT to NVE, and that change isn't just a result of a small T
difference from removing the thermostat, then you'll have to find the
coordinates and velocities from the .dcd file of a configuration where
the volume is closer to your average volume. This is a complicated
process, and even more complicated to describe without
figures/equations, but the solution is simple.
        I can also send over my conf files if you would like.

rajan