Re: Uneven sampling when using ABF

From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2012 - 21:36:05 CDT

Try increasing fullSamples to, say, 10k and decrease your width to 0.1. I've seen in some cases too large a width produce the behavior you observe.

Ultimately, Aron is right that slowly converging orthogonal degrees of freedom could be a problem, as they are the bane of almost any free energy method. More fundamentally, the question is whether your chosen reaction coordinate is truly representative of the process that you want to understand. And unfortunately, for the transition between two conformations, which is quite complicated, the answer is quite possible not. Here's an example of a good paper (although I'm sure there are many) where they demonstrate the improper choice of RC leads to incorrect results: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19462398

You might also want to look into the string method for finding pathways between states in a multi-dimensional RC space.