AW: AW: tclBC incorrect output

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Fri May 04 2012 - 01:10:57 CDT

Hi,

yes of course you find the right atoms in the pdb, this part works, but you
count every line of the pdb that you are looping through as atom numbers,
this is wrong. Look to the line containing "incr atomID". This causes, that
with every line of the pdb, this number is raised by 1, but this are not the
right atom numbers. So you find your first atom you want, but your counter
is already +1 to high as your first line is not an atom. Then somewhere else
you get the coordinates to that wrong atom numbers, so for other atoms than
you expect. This script would only work if all lines of the pdb would be
atoms and numbered from 1, no TER no REMARK or something else allowed, but
this is really unlikely. You could simply remove the two lines I told you in
the previous post, and add an additional line where I told you which could
look like:

set atomID [string range $line 6 10]

The above line simply take a range of character positions out of the pdb
line and should exactly get the right atom numbers from the pdb. If I got it
right, the script should work then. I don't understand why someone publish a
script, that reads several information from the pdb file, and then, instead
of reading the right atom number also, as it is so easy, do such a nonsense.
But that’s not your fault.

Let me know

Norman Geist.