AW: AW: Set up NPT simulation in cubic PBC-box

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2012 - 00:29:21 CDT

Xi,

there's is no need to fit a box shape to the proteins shape. The box is
periodic so it doesn't matter if part of the protein cross the boundaries.
One can do such thing to save computing time, for that reason there's also a
spherical boundary condition (see manual) , as one don't need to carry all
those additional waters, that needs to be simulated when the box is too big
for example. Also keep in mind that your box should be big enough, that the
protein doesn't interact with itself periodically, as this is mostly not
wanted. So the bottom line is, that one don't need a box that perfectly fits
the solute, if one doesn't have a molecule, that needs to be continued
periodically like a metal surface or a membrane for example. I think you
should inform about what periodic cell actually means.

Norman Geist.