AW: how to calculate the box size

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2012 - 01:01:31 CST

I agree with Axel. Determining the box size even from a wrapped dcd by
measuring min-max isn’t correct as one don’t respect the cell center used to
create the data and will get a slightly dancing origin of the unit cell. By
the way this method is called bounding box. One can easily check that with
vmd when using the following command:

pbc box –center bb

and then play over the frames.

I would also advice to just use the box information namd wrote to the dcd,
what is actually really great as one have the whole history of the box size
over time and can even watch the box shrinking during pressure runs.
Actually this fulfills all dreams one can have about the box information.

Best wishes

Norman Geist.