Re: how to understand vdwForceSwitching

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2012 - 15:50:33 CST

Liqun,

The vdwForceSwitching option applies a force-based switching function
to the VDW term. If you don't use the vdwForceSwitching function when
simulating lipids from the CHARMM36 force field, a discrepancy results
between potential energies reported by NAMD and CHARMM (used to
parameterize these lipid force field terms), which yields membrane
surface tensions in NAMD simulations that are between 4-6 dyn/cm
greater than appropriate. Using the vdwForceSwitching function fixes
this problem.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 773-570-6078