Re: Scaled forces, colvars and harmonic con/restraints

From: Michelle Kuttel (mkuttel_at_cs.uct.ac.za)
Date: Thu Nov 24 2011 - 07:24:58 CST

Hi Jerome

I do know that relaxed maps are complicated to calculate correctly (one requirement being that all other degrees of freedom have to be in their most favourable conformation). However, correctness aside, I really still don't understand the problem behind my original question, which was "Why does changing the TargetNumStages, or TargetNumSteps, require a higher force to produce the same profile?" (whether the profile is 'correct' or not is a separate concern). This behaviour does not make sense to me and it really is a question about how the method is programmed in NAMD. However, this discussion has reached the stage where it is now probably only of interest to me .... ;)
Many thanks for your time.
Michelle

-----------------------------
Michelle Kuttel
mkuttel_at_cs.uct.ac.za
PH: +27 21 6505107
-----------------------------

On 24 Nov 2011, at 2:33 PM, Jérôme Hénin wrote:

> Dear Michelle,
>
> After inspecting your files, I think you are seeing an intrinsic
> limitation of relaxed scans, that is, energy minimization algorithms
> get trapped easily. In this case, the intramolecular H-bonds form or
> not, depending on the precise orientation of the approaching OH group.
> Getting the relaxed potential energy surface requires a lot of
> attention and possibly manual adjustments to remain in the
> (constrained) global minimum. As you have seen, MD approaches at room
> temperature do not suffer from this quite as much.
>
> A few points about your setup: instead of defining the dihedral based
> on a hydrogen atom, I would tend to choose the hydroxyl oxygen, which
> is more directly representative of the conformational change.
>
> More importantly, the value you used as a starting point (-180) is far
> from the starting configuration, so that the first stage of
> minimization required extensive rearrangement. Instead, I would scan
> from -60 to 300 (using the H atom definition, or -300 to 60 if using
> the oxygen). As a check, you can also scan from -300 to 420, and see
> if both full turns produce the same results. I also tried backwards,
> which produces different results (H-bonds have a greater tendency to
> break).
>
> The bottom line is, if ABF produce the result you need, then use it by
> all means.
>
> Best,
> Jerome
>
> On 24 November 2011 10:51, Jérôme Hénin <jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr> wrote:
>> Dear Michelle:
>>
>> Maybe I should have a closer look at this. Can you send me off-list
>> the files I need to reproduce your torsional scan?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jerome
>>
>> On 24 November 2011 06:33, Michelle Kuttel <mkuttel_at_cs.uct.ac.za> wrote:
>>> Dear Aron
>>>
>>> Hi Michelle,
>>>
>>> From what you are saying am I to understand that your glucose is just in a
>>> vacuum? So there shouldn't be any bad interactions with any other
>>> molecules?
>>>
>>> Yes, that is right!
>>>
>>> If so, the only reason I could think of would be that your colvar is not
>>> defined properly (e.g. the groups are in the wrong order, or the atom
>>> numbers don't match), but you say you've done ABF with exactly the same
>>> colvar definition and it worked fine?
>>>
>>> Yes, worked beautifully.
>>>
>>> If so then I'd be inclined to agree with you. Sadly I've never used the
>>> minimization routine to calculate anything, so I can't be more helpful.
>>>
>>> Well, it is actually helpful that you agree (i.e. I'm not being a complete
>>> idiot). ;)
>>> Thanks