Re: Controlling fans on a GTX 560 ti

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2011 - 09:19:59 CDT

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Ajasja Ljubetič
<ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> as of recent, nvidia seems to have made
>> it a policy to make it harder to use consumer grade hardware
>> for GPU computing by dropping access to helpful features that
>> used to be (semi-)supported.
>>

> Yes, sadly I noticed. Quad buffering is not supported on the GTX line
> either, but requires the Quadro line.

that is something else. this distinction has always been the case.

the change i was commenting on has been an arbitrary and recent
one and particularly comes after a long time of advertising that
_all_ nvidia gpus offered are capable for GPU computing.

> Still, setting fan speed in windows does not seem to be a problem, so there
> is still hope.
> Could you comment on what "nvidia-smi -d -l -i 900" was supposed to do?

it is supposed to emulate what is now called "persistence mode".
normally GPU settings (like fan speed control) persist only until
the driver is re-initialized. with a headless GPU server, this would
happen _every_ time a new GPU application starts. in order to
keep the GPU driver from re-initializing the GPUs, one has to keep
a context open. in a desktop environment that would be the X server.
for a headless workstation one needs something else. this command
serves the purpose and does (almost) nothing.

cheers,
     axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer