Re: NAMD crashes with OpenMPI/OpenMX

From: Ajasja Ljubetič (ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2011 - 06:23:36 CDT

> hmm... i wouldn't say that. you have to be a bit more creative. ;)
> for example, you can set up a small 3 node cluster
> without(!) an expensive switch by simply buying 3 dual
> port IB cards and 3 cables.

Wow, that is a nice trick!
So something like this <http://geizhals.at/a642147.html> and some cables and
one is in business? Does this also work with four cards and four cables (so
what I'm really asking is: must every node be directly connected to every
other?)
And if one would like to connect just two such nodes, does it make sense to
buy two cables?

And since most motherboards have multiple network cards these days, does
ethernet bonding <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_bonding> make sense
for NAMD applications if one does not have IB?

Best regards,
Ajasja