Re: lengthening time-step with constraints causes RMSD "jump"

From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2011 - 11:11:28 CDT

There was a bug, fixed in NAMD 2.8, where if the coordinates and consref
used the same PDB file and a bincoordinates file was specified that the
coordinates from the bincoordinates file would over-write the shared
coordinates/consref data and thus shift the constraint positions. The
workaround for earlier versions is to use a different file name for
coordinates and consref (even a link will work) so NAMD can't tell that
it's actually the same file.

If you want "strong" constraints on the protein atoms you should use fixed
atoms rather than trying to approximate them with harmonic restraints.

-Jim