Re: 答复: compilation of namd

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 22:14:26 CDT

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Jim Phillips <jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I have also observed that the Intel 11.1 compilers produce slower NAMD
> builds than the old 9.0 compilers, even for the latest processors.  I'm
> guessing the compiler is now more conservative in some optimization, but I
> don't know what it is or how to work around it yet.

jim, i believe the opposite is the case. the newer intel compilers
are optimizing much more aggressively and particularly seem to
try utilizing the vector instructions much more aggressively,
often seems to be enefficient, since the data they operate on
is not properly aligned. i often get faster executables by lowering
optimization levels and optimizing for pentium pro (on 32-bit)
and pentium 4 instruction set, but using core2 or nehalem heuristics
(-march / -mtune).

cheers,
   axel

--