GeForce vs Tesla GPUs for high performance computing

From: Salvador H-V (chava09hv_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2011 - 13:58:30 CDT

Hi All,

If I understood well, to perform serious calculation for high performance
computing, people is using GPUs cards with double precision
such as tesla and quadro GPUs.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the gaming series of GPUs such as
GeForce GTX250 and the new one GeForce GTX580 for such kind of simulations.
I mean, if i use this GTX series for small systems with NAMD how realiable
are the results?

Are there any benchmark biomolecular simulation results between double and
single precision GPUs?

Any help o suggestion (or point out to information), will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Salvador HV