Re: colvars PMF history problem

From: Ajasja Ljubetič (ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2011 - 14:50:06 CST

Hi Nicholas,

well, this is totally of topic, but I still just can't help my self,

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 18:14, Nicholas M Glykos <glykos_at_mbg.duth.gr> wrote:

> At least for NAMD, it probably is a waste of time, and possibly not just
> for 'some people here'. In the latest top500 list, windoze stands at a
> hefty 1%, compared with 96% for unix/GNU/Linux. This must be telling a
> story to the people making the decisions about operating systems in
> production machines.

Well, there is another side to the story:
http://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8 where
90 % of the market share is held by windows. Which does not mean that
windows are better, just that there are some potential NAMD users on windows
as well.

> Having said that, if I only had access to windoze
> machines, and if I was strictly not allowed to make them dual-boot, I
> would also be following your path (after all, even using poorly a
> computing machine for solving a problem, is much better than not using it
> at all).
>
> Thank you. (although if I did some benchmarks of NAMD on win XP and Ubuntu,
I don't think the difference in performance would be that big).
It definitely wouldn't justify the time I would have to put in to port our
main spectral simulations software to linux and convincing the boss to
switch.
And I also thank you for including a win executable of carma (despite you
obvious dislike for the platform).

Regards,
Ajasja