Re: non-zero charge

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2011 - 21:08:22 CST

Dear Joyce,

NAMD's PME has a "neutralizing plasma" coded to prevent propogation of charges
across periodic replicas. However, leaving a charge, and more so a non-integer
charge, when otherwise avoidable is considered poor practice and can lead to
possible artifacts or, in some pathological cases, issues with the
PME grid.

More importantly for your case, you should properly re-parameterize
residue charges using electrostatic fitting procedures. Poorly fitted
charges can lead to significant simulation artifacts ranging from PME
crashes to incorrect dynamics results that aren't easily detected and in
worst cases even published.

An overview of the parameter fitting procedure, and related papers, can
be found in:
MacKerell, A.D., Jr. "Atomistic Models and Force Fields" in
Computational Biochemistry and Biophysics, O.M. Becker, A.D. MacKerell,
Jr., B. Roux and M.Watanabe, Eds., Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York, 2001,
p. 7-38

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 217-244-1733